Street Commissioner

/Street Commissioner
Street Commissioner2018-10-16T15:18:34+00:00
The Riverlea street commissioner shall keep himself informed of the condition of all public streets, sewers, street lamps, parks and grounds, pavements and sidewalks, and shall have the supervision of and the acceptance or rejection of all work done for the improvement, construction, or the repair thereof, whether such work be done by contract, by or at the expense of the owners of the adjacent property. He shall see that the provisions of all laws, ordinances, and regulations relating to the public streets and property herein designated are strictly enforced, and no claim for work done on any such property shall be allowed or paid out of the city treasury without the certificate of the street commissioner, that such work has been done to his satisfaction and according to the ordinances, or orders of the council: Provided that any person feeling himself aggrieved in such matters by the street commissioner may appeal to the village council. The street commissioner shall keep a proper record of all matters relating to the business of his office, and shall report to the council, from time to time, such recommendations and suggestions as to matters connected with his department, with plans and estimates of the cost of such improvements and repairs as he may deem expedient, and he shall perform such other duties as may be required of him by ordinance.

Utility Information


City of Columbus Division of Public Utilities
910 Dublin Road
Columbus, OH 43215
Phone: 614-645-6141
Online Water/Sewer Payment


Columbia Gas of Ohio (A NiSource Company)
DirectLink: 800-344-4077 between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday
Columbia Gas online


American Electric Power (AEP)
Customer Solutions Center: 800-277-2177
AEP online
Please contact these service providers directly for new service or problems with your utility service.

Storm Water Management

In order to comply with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Riverlea is required to have a Storm Water Management plan . Part of the action plan is to keep residents informed of how you can help keep our waters clean.

Riverlea’s storm water drains discharge storm water directly into the Olentangy River. We must be careful not to pollute the storm water with any type of household or construction waste material.

Things you can do:

  • Dispose of all waste appropriately.
  • Do not pour any waste into the storm drains. This includes oils, grease, animal waste, litter, pesticides, etc.
  • Recycle approved materials via the weekly trash pickup.
  • Keep leaves and grass clippings out of the street and curbs.
  • Dispose of Hazardous Materials at the Worthington Service Department.
  • Educate and remind your children about these guidelines.
  • Report any violations to the Village at (614) 547-3037.

Learn more about Water Quality on the United States Environmental Protection Agency website.
The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency Division of Surface Water website is also a good source of information.

With your help, we can help keep Ohio’s rivers clean.


Year 2015

Year 2012

Year 2010

Year 2009

I have Water in my Basement.  Who should I call & what should I do?2018-09-17T11:14:04+00:00

Please Call or Text the Street Commissioner at 614-403-3733, who stands ready to help you asses the problem.  Riverlea is required to track all Water In Basement events and report causes to OEPA in our Annual Sewer System Reports.


If the Street Commissioner is unavailable, please consult following link at The City of Columbus website for information to help you asses the problem and determine who to contact:

Please bear in mind that Riverlea does not have a Sewer Maintenance Contract for our Sanitary Sewer and Storm Sewer Systems.  We own them and are responsible for all necessary maintenance and repairs. So please do not call Columbus Water or Sewer for basement flooding issues, unless you are certain it’s due to a water supply line or water meter problem and you need to have your water service shut off at the curb to stop the leak.


The following general guidelines are provided to help you determine the source your “Water In Basement” problem:


Sanitary Sewer Backups:

If the water smells foul and/or is coming up through the basement floor drains, it’s likely a Sanitary Sewer backup, either in your house service line (called a “lateral”), or in the Main Line in the street. Most of sanitary sewer lateral backups are due blockages caused by root growth into the house service lateral, resulting in partial or total flow obstruction and possible structural collapse of a section of the line.  Check with your immediate “downstream” neighbors (those south or west (downhill) of you) to see if they are also experiencing a backup.  If so, then the backup may be due to a blockage in the main sanitary line in the street. If this is the case, please call or text the Street Commissioner immediately so he can contact an emergency response contractor.

For Sanitary Sewer Problems in House Service Lines:

Repair of sanitary sewer house service lines (called “laterals”) is the homeowner’s responsibility.  The City of Columbus Department of Public Utilities maintains a list of Approved Water and Sewer Contractors licensed by the City to perform sewer and waterline repairs.

The current Approved Contractor’s List is available through the Citizen Portal at:

You will first need to Create an Account and then login to search for approved water/sewer contractors. Not as user friendly and useful as it used to be, as the water/sewer list is by sorted by individual licensee’s name and only includes the individuals address (no associated company name, address, phone or email),

Storm Water:

If the water is clear or muddy-brown and is coming in along the base of the walls, through cracks in the floor or walls, then it’s probably Storm Water intrusion through the foundation, due to high groundwater, heavy rainfall, leaking gutters and/or blocked roof drains.  If it’s coming up out of your sump pump pit, it/s likely your sump pump system has failed (due to loss of power, failed control float, discharge line blocked, or discharge check valve stuck open or closed.

For Storm Water Intrusion or Sump Pump Problems:

If it’s a sump pump problem you cannot fix, contact a plumber.  If it’s water entering through the walls or foundations, contact a professional specialty contractor who deals with basement water problems.  If it’s a problem with water ponding around the outside walls due to leaking gutters or blocked downspouts or roof drains, contact a gutter or roof drainage contractor to help resolve the problem.

Water Supply Leaks:

If the water’s not coming up from the floor drains or through cracks in the walls or from the sump pit, but you can hear the water running in the house, then you probably have Interior Water Supply System Leak, perhaps near your water meter at the house service entrance.

For Water Leaking into the house from your  Water Service Supply Line:  If you cannot stop the leak using the shutoff valve on the upstream side of your water meter, call the City of Columbus Water Department Customer Service Line at 645-8276 (Mon – Fri 7:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.), or after hours call the Water Distribution Dispatcher at 645-7788 (24 hours), to request shutoff at your curb box in your yard.


I see Water Leaking in the street, at a hydrant, or in my front yard.  Who should I call?2018-09-17T11:10:59+00:00

Please self report all such water leaks directly to the City of Columbus Water Distribution Maintenance dispatcher’s office at 645-7788 (staffed 24 hours).  

Then please call or text the Street Commissioner at 614-403-3733 to let him know the leak has been reported.   

I smell Gas in the house or outside the house.  Who should I call and what should I do?2018-09-17T11:09:40+00:00

Evacuate the building or the area immediately.

From a safe distance, call Columbia Gas at 1-800-344-4077 and select option 1 from the automated menu for gas emergencies or carbon monoxide.

Don’t turn on lights or use matches to try to find the source of the leak yourself.

Do not smoke, make a spark or flame, activate or switch on/off any electrical equipment, raise/lower windows, or re-enter building.

Wait in a safe location for our crew to arrive to investigate the situation.

Additional Information:

What can safely be flushed down the toilet?2018-09-17T11:17:29+00:00

Only human waste and toilet paper should be flushed down the toilet.

Other items can clog the sanitary sewer lines on your property or at water treatment facilities.

Items that should NOT be flushed down the toilet include:

  1. Tampons and sanitary napkins
  2. “Flushable” wipes or cleaning wipes of any type
  3. Plastics, including dental floss, bandages, and condoms
  4. Paper towels, facial tissue, cotton balls, cotton swabs
  5. Grease or cooking oils
  6. Cigarette butts
  7. Medication or chemicals

Riverlea’s lift station, which pumps waste from the lower portion of the village to the main sanitary sewer line, must be cleared of this debris when it builds up to keep it operating properly.

“Flushable” wipes do not break down quickly and are becoming a costly problem for sewage and water systems in the US and elsewhere.

Medications and hazardous materials can contaminate water and should not be disposed of in any toilet or drain.

Who do I call for other Emergencies and Public Safety Issues, such as:2018-09-17T11:16:01+00:00

Power Outages:

  • Please self report all Power Outages directly to AEP at 800-672-2231.  Quantity and source location of calls will help them determine the extent of the outage.

Sinkholes, Potholes, Broken Storm Drain Grates & Covers, Broken or Missing Manhole Lids in the Street

  • Call / Text the Street Commissioner @ 614-403-3733.

Tree or Large Limbs Down Blocking the Street

  • During the workday, call Sharon Township at 614-885-5933.  They will remove it and bill the Village.
  • After hours, pleases notify Worthington Police & Fire at 614-885-4463, and call / text Street Commissioner @ 614-403-3733.  He will notify Sharon Township and put out traffic cones.

Dead Deer in the Street or in my Yard

  • If it is still fresh, Call Worthington Police dispatcher at 614-885-4463.  They maintain a list of people who will come and take it for meat.
  • If it has been there awhile, call Sharon Township at 614-885-5933.  They will remove it for a disposal fee.

Major Storm Damage to Your Property

  • Call your Insurance Company, and
  • Call / Text Street Commissioner @ 614-403-3733, who will log and report Damage to Franklin County EMA and assist in their disaster recovery efforts.

Garbage left in the street, or other Collection Issues & Questions

Street Light Outages (Olentangy Dead End, Ravine, Beverly Pl, Lift Station, others)

  • If it’s a safety issue (sparking, line down, glass in street,etc), Call AEP at  800-672-2231 and Worthington Police & Fire at 614-885-4463
  • If the light is simply out, you can file a report online at
  • Also, please call / text the Street Commissioner @ 614-403-3733 to let him know you filed a report.
William (Bill) P. Charles
William (Bill) P. CharlesStreet Commissioner
5825 Dover Court
Worthington, OH 43085
phone: 614-403-3733