September 11, 2017 Infrastructure Committee Meeting Minutes

//September 11, 2017 Infrastructure Committee Meeting Minutes

Infrastructure Committee Meeting

September 11, 2017

The Riverlea Committee on Infrastructure met at 7:00 pm on Monday, September 11, 2017 at the Community Church of Christ at 110 Park St.  The meeting was posted and open to the public.  The following people were in attendance:  Marc Benevento(Chair), Bill Charles (Street Commissioner), Chad Lowe (Council), John Oberle (volunteer), Greg Ross(volunteer), Dan Schlichting (volunteer). Jim Dippel of Burgess and Niple attended as a guest of the Committee to share updates on the infrastructure project design work.

The following agenda was shared via e-mail prior to the meeting:

  1. Review and approval of minutes from August meeting
  2. Internet infrastructure (Marc)
  3. Updated project plan and budget (Jim D)
  4. Communication plan
  5. New business (if any)

At 7:03 pm, the meeting was called to order. Marc Benevento asked for a volunteer to take meeting minutes and Greg Ross volunteered.  Meeting minutes from the August 2017 infrastructure committee meeting were sent to the committee via e-mail for review ahead of time.  The minutes were approved without changes.

Marc updated the committee on an August 9th meeting with the Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC) relating to installing infrastructure (underground conduit) to accommodate internet service providers.  The MORPC experience has been that the installed cost would be roughly $5 per linear foot ($50-100K for the Village).  Marc contacted the current service providers – Spectrum, WOW and AT&T – to discuss interest/need.  Spectrum claimed they have fiber-optic cable in the Village and that upcoming software improvements will increase data speeds.

John Oberle mentioned Team Fishel was an independent infrastructure provider.  They would sell high speed access to service providers.  He felt the MORPC estimated cost was high.  John also commented that a wireless network may be an even cheaper option as networks move to 5G.  He will make a contact to get a rough cost estimate.  In either case, it appears the service providers do not see a need.

Jim Dippel gave an update on the project planning.

  • The plan is at least 95% complete.  A complete paper version was shared at the meeting with the committee.  Jim will also send a link to an electronic version.
  • Plans are at the stage of final review at Burgess & Niple.  Approval is still pending from Columbus water.
  • At this point it appears that the engineering estimate will come in at or slightly below the original projection. However, the bidding process could push costs either way (lower or higher).
  • Jim and a few committee members were meeting with Columbia Gas of Ohio on Thursday(14th) to discuss CG’s separate project to replace gas mains and feeds to individual homes.  Their project will take place at roughly the same time, but is completely separate from the Village work. CG is likely to have separate communication meetings.
  • The next step for B&N is to develop the bidding documents.

For driveway and walkways, concrete will be used to replace anything removed by the construction crews.  However for homeowners with stone, decorative concrete, or pavers, the homeowner may not like the use of concrete.  The committee discussed allowing the homeowner to decide to decline replacement with concrete.  If they decline, the committee recommends the homeowner be responsible for replacement.  John agreed to review existing case law in case work is needed slightly outside of the property easement.  This is the case for approximately 90 homes.  Generally it relates to grading work in order to achieve a preferred slope in the yard or driveway.  We may decide to send a letter, and/or look at an opt-out for the property owner.  In the case an owner decides to opt-out, they will be completely responsible for restoration outside the easement area.

Homeowners will be notified of the upcoming work and when any landscaping or obstructions need to be removed.  If not removed and saved by the homeowner, the construction crews will remove obstructions, which may be destroyed or disposed of in the process.

An approximate outline of the key upcoming actions follow;

  • Early October – special Riverlea council meeting to approve plans and authorize advertisement
  • Mid-October – Advertise of the intent to complete the project and ask for bids
  • November 8th – Bids are due
  • Mid-November – B&N recommendation to council
  • November 20th Riverlea council meeting – Village bid approval
  • December 7th – OWDA notification of bid
    • Can submit a draft notification to OWDA as early as October, and will need the water main replacement part of the project separated.
  • January 2018 – Pre-construction meeting with contractor, B&N and village reps.

The communication plan to the Village will be:

  • Newsletter was scheduled to be published within a week,
  • September 24th community forum (village circle or high school)
    • Contact persons needed for the Village, B&N and the Contractor (once selected), and there is a potential for block captain who will have a smaller group to inform of updates and changes.
  • Information session with contractor in January.

The meeting adjourned at 8:18 pm.

Chairperson:  Marc Benevento

Prepared by:  Greg Ross

By |2017-12-31T20:54:29+00:00December 31st, 2017|Committee Reports|