Riverlea Planning Commission
Village of Riverlea Planning Commission members, forms, guidelines and more can be found in the tabs below.
258 Frontenac Place
Term expires December 31, 2019
Planning Commission Members
Janet Brown, (614) 436-9736 (term expires December 31, 2020)
Robert Davis, (614) 310-5238 (term expires December 31, 2019)
Taylor Surface, (614) 781-9537 (term expires December 31, 2018)
Paul Unrue, (614) 607-0606 (term expires December 31, 2018)
230 West Riverglen Drive
Home Improvement Guidelines
If you are planning to remodel or make other improvements to the exterior of your home, you must obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness from the Planning Commission before you apply for a building permit and begin construction. If your project requires an exception to the zoning ordinances (e.g. if a structure is closer to the property line than the code allows), you must also obtain a variance from the Planning Commission. The Planning Commission does not perform building inspections, it only monitors compliance with the Village’s zoning ordinances. The process for obtaining a Certificate of Appropriateness or variance is as follows:
- Obtain the necessary forms under the “Forms” tab above or from the Village Clerk-Treasurer.
- Assemble the necessary information, including a site plan, building plan elevations, a narrative description of the planned work, use of materials, grading, etc.
- Submit the application to the Village Clerk-Treasurer in time for the next monthly Planning Commission meeting: 12 days in advance for a Certificate of Appropriateness and 20 days in advance for a variance request. The exact dates are listed under the “Meeting Schedule” tab above.
- A fee of $10.00 or $1.00 per $1000 of construction cost (up to a maximum of $200) must be included with the application. If your project requires a curb cut, or if the exterior work exceeds $20,000, a $2,000 deposit is required before construction can begin. Checks should be made payable to “Village of Riverlea.”
The following kinds of projects do not require Planning Commission approval:
- Landscaping work, unless hardscaping (e.g. a deck, patio, or walkway) is involved.
- Maintenance; i.e. exterior renovations that don’t change the appearance of the home, such as a roof or window replacement when similar materials are being used.
- Interior renovations, unless the location of exterior doors or windows is changed.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the zoning classification in Riverlea?
The entire Village is zoned ‘Single Family Residence’ as noted in Section 151.020 of the Codified Ordinances.
- When do I need a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA)?
Any exterior improvements that do not qualify as ‘maintenance’ require an application and hearing for a COA.
- What is considered ‘maintenance’?
Painting, storm repairs, roof, window, door or siding replacement if similar in color, size, and pattern.
- Where do I get a building permit?
After receiving and signing the COA, building permits can be applied for through the Franklin County Economic Development & Planning Department.
- How long does a COA remain in effect?
One year from the date of the meeting at which the COA was granted.
- Do I need a driveway permit?
Only if the apron will be replaced; if so, the applicant must post a Street Bond with the Village and have the apron installed per the approved engineering drawings available from the Village Street Commissioner.
- Do I need a COA for interior remodeling?
No, unless exterior door or window locations change.
- Do I need a COA for a storage shed?
No, unless it is built on permanent foundations.
- Do I need a COA for a deck or patio?
Yes, and if you are replacing an existing deck or patio you will need a COA if the replacement is larger than the original.
- What type & height of fence can I install?
See the ‘Fence Checklist’ under the “Forms” tab above, and see also Sections 151.040-151.046 of the Codified Ordinances for additional information and requirements.
- Where can I place a dumpster during remodeling?
Trash dumpsters & enclosures and portable storage units must be placed in the driveway behind the front yard setback line, in the rear of the house between the side yard setback lines, or in a location approved by the Planning Commission.
- To expedite our project, can we be added late to the next meeting’s agenda, or can a special meeting be scheduled?
No, meeting dates and filing deadlines follow the schedule indicated under the “Meeting Schedule” tab above.
- Can I get a preliminary review and feedback on my proposed remodeling?
Yes, any project can be submitted to the Planning Commission for review, and either tabled until a complete application is prepared, or withdrawn.
- What if I disagree with the Planning Commission’s decision?
Decisions of the Planning Commission may be appealed to the Village Council.
Planning Commission Forms
Here are some of the forms that you may need to review and submit to the Planning Commission. Please note that they are in a .pdf file format designated by [pdf] following the link. Pdf files require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader software to open them. If you do not have Reader, you may use the following link to Adobe to download it for free: Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Planning Commission Check List [pdf]
Application for Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) [pdf]
Planning Commission Meetings
Planning Commission meetings are held on the second Monday of each month at 7:00 pm when there are proposals to consider. Meetings are held at Evening Street Elementary School, 885 Evening Street, Worthington, OH 43085 when school is in session, or at 258 Frontenac Place. All meetings are public and residents are welcome to attend.
2017 Meeting Schedule
|Meeting Date||COA / Variance Application Deadline|
Building & Zoning Ordinances
The Village’s building and zoning ordinances can be found under Title XV of the Codified Ordinances
Some recent ordinances may not have been codified yet, so applicants should also review the Newly Adopted Ordinances
Archived Planning Commission Minutes
- November 14, 2016 minutes
- October 10, 2016 minutes
- September 12, 2016 minutes
- August 16, 2016 minutes
- April 11, 2016 highlights
- February 8, 2016 highlights
- January 11, 2016 highlights
- December 8, 2014
- September 8, 2014
- August 11, 2014
- July 14, 2014
- June 9, 2014
- May 12, 2014
- March 10, 2014
- December 12, 2011
- July 11, 2011
- June 13, 2011
- May 9, 2011
- April 11, 2011
- February 14, 2011
- January 10, 2011
- July 12, 2010
- June 14, 2010
- May 10, 2010
- April 26, 2010
- April 12, 2010
- March 8, 2010
- February 8, 2010
- January 11, 2010
- December 14, 2009
- November 9, 2009
- October 11, 2009
- September 14, 2009
- August 10, 2009
- July 13, 2009
- June 8, 2009
- May 11, 2009
- April 13, 2009
- March 23, 2009
- February – no meeting
- January – no meeting