Planning Commission

/Planning Commission
Planning Commission 2018-01-20T18:30:27+00:00

Riverlea Planning Commission

Village of Riverlea Planning Commission members, forms, guidelines and more can be found in the tabs below.

Planning Commissioner

Bryce Jacob
258 Frontenac Place
(614) 554-5470

Term expires December 31, 2019

Planning Commission Members

Janet Brown, (614) 436-9736 (term expires December 31, 2020)

Robert Davis, (614) 310-5238 (term expires December 31, 2019)

Taylor Surface, (614) 781-9537 (term expires December 31, 2018)

Paul Unrue, (614) 607-0606 (term expires December 31, 2018)


Josh Mehling
230 West Riverglen Drive
(614) 949-2093

Home Improvement Guidelines

If you are planning to remodel or make other improvements to the exterior of your home, you must obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness from the Planning Commission before you apply for a building permit and begin construction. If your project requires an exception to the zoning ordinances (e.g. if a structure is closer to the property line than the code allows), you must also obtain a variance from the Planning Commission. The Planning Commission does not perform building inspections, it only monitors compliance with the Village’s zoning ordinances. The process for obtaining a Certificate of Appropriateness or variance is as follows:

  1. Obtain the necessary forms under the “Forms” tab above or from the Village Clerk-Treasurer.
  2. Assemble the necessary information, including a site plan, building plan elevations, a narrative description of the planned work, use of materials, grading, etc.
  3. Submit the application to the Village Clerk-Treasurer in time for the next monthly Planning Commission meeting: 12 days in advance for a Certificate of Appropriateness and 20 days in advance for a variance request. The exact dates are listed under the “Meeting Schedule” tab above.
  4. A fee of $10.00 or $1.00 per $1000 of construction cost (up to a maximum of $200) must be included with the application. If your project requires a curb cut, or if the exterior work exceeds $20,000, a $2,000 deposit is required before construction can begin. Checks should be made payable to “Village of Riverlea.”

The following kinds of projects do not require Planning Commission approval:

  • Landscaping work, unless hardscaping (e.g. a deck, patio, or walkway) is involved.
  • Maintenance; i.e. exterior renovations that don’t change the appearance of the home, such as a roof or window replacement when similar materials are being used.
  • Interior renovations, unless the location of exterior doors or windows is changed.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is the zoning classification in Riverlea?
    The entire Village is zoned ‘Single Family Residence’ as noted in Section 151.020 of the Codified Ordinances.
  2. When do I need a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA)?
    Any exterior improvements that do not qualify as ‘maintenance’ require an application and hearing for a COA.
  3. What is considered ‘maintenance’?
    Painting, storm repairs, roof, window, door or siding replacement if similar in color, size, and pattern.
  4. Where do I get a building permit?
    After receiving and signing the COA, building permits can be applied for through the Franklin County Economic Development & Planning Department.
  5. How long does a COA remain in effect?
    One year from the date of the meeting at which the COA was granted.
  6. Do I need a driveway permit?
    Only if the apron will be replaced; if so, the applicant must post a Street Bond with the Village and have the apron installed per the approved engineering drawings available from the Village Street Commissioner.
  7. Do I need a COA for interior remodeling?
    No, unless exterior door or window locations change.
  8. Do I need a COA for a storage shed?
    No, unless it is built on permanent foundations.
  9. Do I need a COA for a deck or patio?
    Yes, and if you are replacing an existing deck or patio you will need a COA if the replacement is larger than the original.
  10. What type & height of fence can I install?
    See the ‘Fence Checklist’ under the “Forms” tab above, and see also Sections 151.040-151.046 of the Codified Ordinances for additional information and requirements.
  11. Where can I place a dumpster during remodeling?
    Trash dumpsters & enclosures and portable storage units must be placed in the driveway behind the front yard setback line, in the rear of the house between the side yard setback lines, or in a location approved by the Planning Commission.
  12. To expedite our project, can we be added late to the next meeting’s agenda, or can a special meeting be scheduled?
    No, meeting dates and filing deadlines follow the schedule indicated under the “Meeting Schedule” tab above.
  13. Can I get a preliminary review and feedback on my proposed remodeling?
    Yes, any project can be submitted to the Planning Commission for review, and either tabled until a complete application is prepared, or withdrawn.
  14. What if I disagree with the Planning Commission’s decision?
    Decisions of the Planning Commission may be appealed to the Village Council.
Other questions about the Village’s zoning ordinances, the application process, or construction regulations should be directed to the Planning Commissioner.

Planning Commission Forms

Here are some of the forms that you may need to review and submit to the Planning Commission. Please note that they are in a .pdf file format designated by [pdf] following the link. Pdf files require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader software to open them. If you do not have Reader, you may use the following link to Adobe to download it for free: Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Planning Commission Meetings

Planning Commission meetings are held on the second Monday of each month at 7:00 pm when there are proposals to consider. Meetings are held at Evening Street Elementary School, 885 Evening Street, Worthington, OH 43085 when school is in session, or at 258 Frontenac Place. All meetings are public and residents are welcome to attend.

2017 Meeting Schedule

Meeting Date COA / Variance Application Deadline
01-9-2017 12-28-2016
02-13-2017 02-01-2017
03-13-2017 03-01-2017
04-10-2017 03-29-2017
05-08-2017 04-26-2017
06-12-2017 05-31-2017
07-10-2017 06-28-2017
08-14-2017 08-02-2017
09-11-2017 08-30-2017
10-09-2017 09-27-2017
11-13-2017 11-01-2017
12-11-2017 11-29-2017

Building & Zoning Ordinances

The Village’s building and zoning ordinances can be found under Title XV of the Codified Ordinances

Some recent ordinances may not have been codified yet, so applicants should also review the Newly Adopted Ordinances